University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
3190 Maile Way, Room 101
Honolulu, HI 96822
I am broadly interested in the evolutionary ecology of plants and how
plant traits are shaped by interactions with herbivores and neighboring
plants. Specifically, I am interested in how the nature and consequences
of these interactions vary across plant ontogeny.
- Barton, K. E.. In press. Prickles, latex and tolerance in the endemic Hawaiian prickly poppy (Argemone glauca): variation between populations, across ontogeny and in response to abiotic factors. Oecologia. PDF (343 KB)
- Barton, K. E. and W. P. Haines. 2013. Koa looper caterpillars (Scotorythra paludicola, Geometridae) have lower fitness on koa (Acacia koa, Fabaceae) true leaves than on phyllodes. Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society 45: 141-147. PDF (811 KB)
- Haines, W. P., K. E. Barton, and P. Conant. 2013. Defoliation of the invasive tree Falcataria moluccana on Hawaii Island by the native koa looper moth (Geometridae: Scotorythra paludicola), and evaluation of five fabaceous trees as larval hostplants. Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society 45: 129-139. PDF (1.2 MB)
- Quintero, C., K. E. Barton, and K. Boege. 2013. The ontogeny of plant indirect defenses. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 15: 245-254. PDF (494 KB)
- Barton, K. E.. 2013. Ontogenetic patterns in the mechanisms of tolerance to herbivory in Plantago. Annals of Botany 112: 711-720. PDF (247 KB)
- Barton, K. E. and M. E. Hanley. 2013. Seedling-herbivore interactions: insights into plant defence and regeneration patterns. Annals of Botany 112: 643-650. PDF (141 KB)
- Barton, K. E. and M. E. Hanley, editors. 2013. Special Issue: Seedling Herbivory. Annals of Botany 112: 643-765. PDF (287 KB)
- Koricheva, J. and K. E. Barton. 2012. Temporal changes in plant secondary metabolite production: patterns, causes and consequences. In The Ecology of Plant Secondary Metabolites: From Genes to Global Processes. Eds. G. R. Iason, M. Dicke and S. E. Hartley. Cambridge University Press.
- Boege, K., K. E. Barton, and R. Dirzo. 2011. Influence of tree ontogeny on plant-herbivore interactions. In Size and Age-Related Changes in Tree Structure and Function, Tree Physiology 4. Eds. F. C. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch and T. E. Dawson. Springer, New York. PDF (203 KB)
- Barton, K. E. and J. Koricheva. 2010. The ontogeny of plant defense and herbivory: characterizing general patterns using meta-analysis. American Naturalist 175(4): 481-493. PDF (2.8 MB)
- Sultan, S. E., K. Barton, and A. M. Wilczek. 2009. Contrasting patterns of
transgenerational plasticity in ecologically distinct congeners. Ecology 90: 1831-1839. PDF (321 KB)
- Barton, K. E. 2008. Phenotypic plasticity
in seedling defense strategies: compensatory growth and chemical induction.
Oikos 117: 917-925. PDF (132 KB)
- Barton, K. E. 2007. Early ontogenetic patterns
in chemical defense in Plantago (Plantaginaceae): Genetic variation
and trade-offs. American Journal of Botany 94: 56-66. PDF
- Barton, K. E. and M. D. Bowers. 2006. Neighbor
species differentially alter resistance phenotypes in Plantago. Oecologia
150: 442-452. PDF (423 KB)
- Barton, K. E., N. J. Sanders, and D. M.
Gordon. 2002. The effects of proximity and colony age on interspecific
interference competition between the desert ants Pogonomyrmex barbatus
and Aphaenogaster cockerelli. American Midland Naturalist
148: 376-382. PDF (81 KB)
- Ackerly, D. D., C. A. Knight, S. B. Weiss, K. Barton
and K. P. Starmer. 2002. Leaf size, specific leaf area and microhabitat
distribution of chaparral woody plants: contrasting patterns in species
level and community level analyses. Oecologia 130: 449-457. PDF
- Sanders, N. J., K. E. Barton, and D. M.
Gordon. 2001. Long-term dynamics of the distribution of the invasive
Argentine ant, Linepithema humile, and native ant taxa in northern
California. Oecologia 127: 123-130. PDF